Friday, August 10, 2018

Of Last Seens and Could-Have-Beens

I wish you'd stop chasing the dreams
of your profound, deep friends;
cause though they indulge in shallow
they're full where you end.

I wish you wouldn't push me away
and in moments of weakness, beg me to stay;
I wish I could be the strong I said I would
But when you lash out I don't feel the ground where I should.

I'm so tired of staring at you
staring at me
staring through last seens
and all-we-could've-beens.

I worry if I'm lying
even when I mean the truth;
cause you said you don't believe in my trying
in my trying to be good.

I hate that you hate me
that you love me
and me you, too.
I want you to be free
but please don't be,
I won't know what to do.

When you're told enough that
what rings in your head
is not the sound of truth,
should realness wash in
you'll feel the action:
tooth-on-tooth.

I'm sorry I cheated
I'm sorry it happened
I'm sorry you're snapping
& I'm sorry we're broken